Friday, December 26, 2008

Wittenberg, Germany


"This town is where Martin Luther started the Reformation. It's a very small city and everything closed at six. So we have just been in the hostle this evening. Today we went to the church where Luther nailed his 95 theses. It is called the Castle Church. We went inside and sang some hymns and it was very spiritual. By the time we finished singing the hymns the church was almost full of people that had heard us and walked in to listen. Then we climbed to the top of the bell tower and looked at the city. The staircase was spiral all the way to the top! We went to the Town Church where Luther did most of his preaching. We saw the statues of Luther and Melancthon and then attended a Lutheran service. It is so interesting as I have attended some of these different church services to walk into a building and feel cold and not have the Spirit welcoming me. I know that Luther was a major stepping stone to the Restoration of the Gospel and I am so grateful for all he did and for his great courage. He wasn't scared to talk about what he was feeling. We went to a Luther museum this evening and I really liked that. I read a book about the differences between Christ and the Pope and it was an eye-opener for me. Christ was so selfless in all he did and He didn't ever want the glory." Journal Entry, October 8, 2008

No comments: