Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Flu

I discovered first hand this week that the flu is making its way through Burton Elementary School.  I have had students absent here and there, but just out for one day - usually with a sore throat or cough.

To spare the graphic details, this poor boy in my class made it until 2:00 when he couldn't hold the throw-up any longer and spewed it across the room...Spraying me, three or four other students, the whiteboard, my iPad, two tables, 4 chairs, seat pouches, reading books, and about a 6 foot diameter floor space.  It was EVERYWHERE!  Needless to say, I spent the last 30 minutes of the day trying to clean and keep some order in my classroom while the secretary took the poor boy to get him cleaned up and ready to go home.

I don't do puke ~ the second I see or smell it I'm ready to grab a garbage can and leave the vicinity.  So it took a lot of will power to get the gloves on and scrub the tables, chairs, whiteboard, iPad, students' faces and arms, and my clothing.

Well it happened to be a Thursday - the day when I was giving a presentation during faculty meeting, and the day when I needed to rush out of the school and be at the Temple for my Ordinance Worker shift.  I felt disgusting, but I did it.  I scrubbed my skirt and boots, hoped I got it off, put some oils on to keep me from getting sick, and went on my way.

Sadly, the next day I had five students absent.  They must have caught the bug ~ which makes me sad for them.  But I am so grateful they caught it and are getting over it at HOME!  Now I'm left hoping I have dodged it and don't have to clean up any more puke for a long, long time!

1 comment:

Mom & Dad said...

Oh Heidi, what a day at school! That would be a tough thing to have to clean that all up! I love reading about what you are doing and so enjoy your testimony in all that you share. You are a wonderful example for the rest of us to follow!